Substance Abuse & Mental Health Assistance

The Wilmington Police Department’s Social Worker focuses on mental health and substance abuse concerns which impact individuals, family members, and friends on a daily basis. This unit builds relationships with individuals and families via co-response with Police, follow-ups after Police interactions, walk-ins, and/or referrals from community members and Officers. Through partnerships with the Police Department, Fire Department, and Wilmington Organizations, this unit utilizes supports within the community to grow involvement and positive networks for individuals and their affected loved ones. The goal of each interaction is to meet the individual where they are at and assist them with their immediate and long-term needs.

This unit can help facilitate communication between different providers, act as an advocate, identify suitable community resources, refer to additional services, and work with the court system (if appropriate). 

Please contact Samantha Reif, if you or someone you know need supports or services.
Office: (978) 694-2064



What can you do for me?
Ultimately, you are the only one who can turn your life around. However, this unit is dedicated to walking along side of you and linking you with resources along your journey. Through conversations we work together to identify needs and strengths in order to find an appropriate direction of services and supports.

What are some examples of community resources?
Peer groups, detox facilities, counseling, support centers, application assistance to state/government funded programs

What is your relationship with the police?
This unit does not have a relationship with the criminal aspect of the Police Department. Although the office is located within the department and work is done in collaboration with the police, this unit does not deter people based off of criminal records. Basic information can be shared with law enforcement in order to assist during emergency responses. Additionally, confidentiality with each client is held in order to best serve that individual.

Someone I care about has mental health concerns and/or is involved with substance abuse, can you help?
Yes! You can give the unit a call or you can provide the contact information to them.

How is this position different from seeing a therapist?
Seeing a personal therapist will provide excellent individual care on an emotional basis; the objective of this unit is to combine all service providers in order to create a team environment to most successfully serve the needs of the individual. Therefore, this unit can be a supplementary element of treatment in addition to pre-established or co-occurring services and treatment.

Is there a cost to this service?
No, it is provided by the Town of Wilmington free of charge and open to the community. However, this is not intended to be a long-term clinical therapy nor treatment program, we can guide you in the right direction to receive appropriate services within the community.


Psychiatric Services

  • 24/7 Emergency Crisis Team (Psychiatric Care): Advocates @ 1-800-640-5432
  • Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
  • Hospital: Lahey Hospital’s Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Department @ 781-744-8013

Elder Services

  • Elder Protective Services Hotline: 1-800-922-2275
  • Wilmington Department of Elder Services: 978-657-7595

Child & Youth Services

  • To Report Child Abuse and/or Neglect: 1-800-792-5200
  • DCF Area Office: 617-520-8700
  • Massachusetts Young Children’s Health Interventions for Learning and Development (MYCHILD):
  • Information and Referral Resources for Families and Children Requiring Assistance: Mass 2-1-1, dial 2-1-1 from any phone,

Veteran/Service Member & Family Services

  • Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255, Press 1
  • Chat online:
  • Send a text message: 838255
  • Wilmington Department of Veterans’ Services: 978-694-2040

Substance Abuse Services